Sunday, July 8, 2018

Way Back Machine for 1986


Image from the old animated show "Peabody and Sherman" where each week they went back in time to allow Sherman to make a bad pun - Really, its not as stupid as it sounds..

George pointed out that our blog missed a fair amount of information from my non-blog period, i.e., before 2004. So after some rethinking, I decided to establish a new blog with all the information from before 2004.



WEISS FAMILY CHRONICLES 1986

Apr 12 Best comeback by a local team‑Bullets down by 18 to Phil    with 3'21" score 19 straight to win @Spectrum no less
    25 Worst weather forecast of the year (so far): the 9am   forecast was for  clear and 80F for the afternoon, at 1130am      it got overcast and it rained for the rest of the day and    stayed in the 50's.

May 25 George was playing with one of his boats when he was visited     by a little girl (about 2‑3 his age) who asked him what he was   playing with. He said "It's a basketball..ha.ha.ha!" and when     the little girl said, "No, it's a boat" he repeated his    basketball ID and laughed really hard. Most people hope their   kids grow up like them but in this case maybe not. Speaking     of which:
    27 Beth said to me, "What are you doing?"
       I said, "Making a daddy sandwhich"
       She said "Is that one daddy between two slices of bread,         ha..ha.."
June11‑16 Local game drudgery, in consecutive games against the      Yankees, the Orioles average over 4 hours/game.
July 9 George meets a little girl named Laura at the swimming pool.      She was about the same age and was reluctant to go in the     water. George gave her a hug and held her hand and said, "Come   on, let's go swimming." Laura's mother told me the next day that her daughter's first words the next morning were "Let's    go to the pool today so we can see George"
July28 George pulls over a swingset and needed stiches in his head.     I told him we were going to the hospitol to play the doctor     game. He told me "Next time you can play the doctor game      yourself"
Aug 6&18 Futility, Orioles lose games in which they hit two   grandslams and pull off two double steals in a inning respectively.
Aug 29 Late summer cool snap surprizes Washington. Low temperatures     in the 40's. I noticed that the max temp in Atlanta Geo was only 61 and at Columbus was only 64. There was a reasonable    amount of rain too for the first time since Feb.
Sept 9 Beth (now 7) threw a hysteria attack when we lost her form to commit ourselves to subscribe to "My Weekly Reader". We   took her and George to Ocean City for a few days (took Beth to play hookey with parental approval‑improving her status     with the boys in her class) as an anecdote to her goody‑goodyness. We have been informed that we will be
     extorted into buying useless trinkets or tasteless cookies to aid the PTA this year‑I asked my parents and they didn't     remember this sort of criminal activity.
Sept25 On a trip to Oregon, my rental car broke its powersteering cable a block from a nude dancing establishment. It took     National, 3 hours to come with a new car during which time I    was, of course, forced to attend to the entertainment (and drink beer).
Oct 2 Up until this year no team in the previous 642 postseason    games had come from a 2 run deficit to win in the 9th. This     year it happened 3 times.
Oct 6  Ann went to work at the Dept. of Commerce (Bur. of Econ.      Analysis). I was a bit worried because I had dealt with them about 8 years ago and they all seemed to be a.uncooperative b.condescending and c. homosexual but she tells me that personel must have turned over because they are all a nice     happy family now. (This turned out to be true).
Oct 8  Orioles end the season with a total of 13 triples. In the      previous 90 years of baseball, no team had ever had less than 16 before.
Nov 8  As I recall, this will the 20th anniv. of the election of   Spiro Agnew as Gov. of Md. To celebrate, I will find a nolo     contondre plea.
Nov 12 Strange event. I had filled out the form the previous week to get 5 copies of a technical report (lots of computer     subroutine listings and equations). I got a call from the assigned copyist who told me that she had found several typos in this 130 page report and did I 1986 want them corrected.    Hypothesis #1‑She is new and doesn't realize that what we do     is not that important (I've seen typos in the Pres.'s State   of the Union message in the Cong. Record). Hypoth #2‑She wants       to have an affair and figures my libido will go zooming for typo correction.
Dec 3  Car crash in library parking lot. The other driver was hurrying to return a book. My 73 Dodge Colt got a bashed in      passenger door. I estimate the value of the car went from    about $150 to about $140 as a result. It would cost about $500 to fix. (We do have another car).
Dec 16 Beth (age7) breaks 3 light bulbs in 15 min. I asked her to take in the shards for show and tell but she refused.
Dec 17 I accidentally forwarded all my calls to the USDOT credit   union voice activated autoteller (3661079) instead of our full service computer terminal station (3662079). Result: peace and   quiet all day, I may use this strategy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment